Rosa Leftwich was born in 1895 in Alleghany County, Virginia. She moved to White Sulphur Springs where her husband was employed by the Greenbrier Resort. Despite living in White Sulphur Springs, Rosa taught at several one-room schoolhouses across rural Greenbrier County. She also taught at Bolling several times during the 1930s and 1950s. After teaching, Rosa became involved with the Greenbrier County Retired Teachers Association. Rosa served as a church organist for forty years.